Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins make a living drawing an online comic strip called “Penny Arcade”. But they also have a passion for video games. So in 2003, along with their business manager, Robert Khoo, they decided to start a charity called Child’s Play that sends video games to sick kids in more than 60 hospitals worldwide.
Since 2003, over 100,000 gamers worldwide have banded together through Child’s Play. Today, Child’s Play has collected over $5 million in donations of toys, games, books and cash for sick kids in children’s hospitals around the world.
This video shows how Child’s play has expanded around the world and shows the impact it’s having!
- Here is an article about Jerry and Mike and their success with comics, gaming, and Child’s Play.
Topics for Discussion:
- How would it feel to be stuck in a hospital for an extended period of time?
- Do you like playing video games? How much do you think a sick child in a hospital would like playing them?
- Mike and Jerry took a passion, video games, and found a way to use it for good. Do you have a passion that you can use to do something good for others?
- Visit the Child’s Play website to learn more about this worthy cause and how you can help support it!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.