Stockbroker Stan Curtis realized that there are many kids in America who have food provided to them at school during the week but who have little or no food on the weekends. And so, in 2005, Stan began a wonderful program that helps provide weekend food to kids who need it. His program is called Blessings in a Backpack, and today it serves thousands of children across the country, helping alleviate weekend hunger for kids who need it most.
This video tells all about Blessings in a Backpack and the great work it’s doing.
- Here is an article about how Blessings in a Backpack is helping schoolkids around the country.
- Here is another video about Blessings in a Backpack.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why did Stan start Blessings in a Backpack?
- How would it feel to have no food on the weekend? How would it affect the things you like to do?
- Visit the Blessings in a Backpack website to learn how you can get involved with this worthy cause!
- Do you have a food bank or soup kitchen in your area? Contact them to find out how you can help bring food to those who need it in your community.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.