William Kamkwamba followed his dreams and changed the direction of his life. He did so by educating himself! As a result, he helped his African village by building a windmill for them. A lack of money for school fees forced William to quit school at age 14. But he didn’t site idly and hope that things would get better. Instead, he took charge of his life, and his courage and conviction is an inspiration to all.
William wrote a book about his experience – it is called The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind. This video tells William’s amazing story.
- Here is a link to another video about William.
- Here is a biography of William.
- Here is another video about William.
Topics for Discussion:
- What motivated William to build his windmill?
- How did William feel when his windmill was successful and he was able to help his family?
- Visit the website for William’s charity, Moving Windmills, to learn more and find out how you can get involved!
- Read William’s blog and be inspired to action just as he was!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.