Brad Cohen is a husband, father, second grade teacher, and author. And, oh yeah, he has Tourette Syndrome. Although Brad has a severe case of Tourette Syndrome, which causes him to have facial tics and make “barking noises”, he has not let it stop him from finding success in life.
Because of his Tourette Syndrome, Brad endured a difficult childhood and numerous frustrations even as an adult. Despite these obstacles Brad stayed strong and persevered, devoting much of his time to educating people about Tourette Syndrome and encouraging them to be accepting of those who have the condition. Today, he has found that acceptance and then some, making his life into a story of tremendous success.
In this video, Brad talks about living with Tourette Syndrome and how he was inspired to become a teacher and an author.
- Here is a link to Brad’s website, Class Performance.
- Here is an article that talks about Brad’s book, Front of the Class, and the movie that was made from it.
Topics for Discussion:
- How would it feel to have Tourette Syndrome and be ridiculed, scolded, and pushed away for something you can’t control?
- How did Brad overcome the difficulties in his life and create his great success?
- Visit the Tourette Syndrome Assocation website to learn more about Tourette Syndrome and how you can support people with this condition.
- Visit the Brad Cohen Tourette Foundation website to learn more about Brad’s organization and how you can support it!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.