Jessica Cox is a young woman who has already accomplished a lot in her life. She has graduated college, begun a career as a motivational speaker, earned two blackbelts in Tae Kwon Do, and even learned to fly a plane! But even more amazing is the fact that Jessica has attained these goals despite the fact that she has no arms.
Due to a rare condition, Jessica was born without any arms. When she was a child she tried using prosthetic arms, but she didn’t like them. She wanted to learn to be independent just as she was. And today, as a young woman who lives, survives, and thrives on her own, independence is something she has definitely achieved!
This video tells Jessica’s incredible story.
- Here is Jessica’s website, which tells more about her inspirational life.
- Here is an article about Jessica and her amazing accomplishments.
Topics for Discussion:
- What would it be like to have no arms? How would your life be different?
- What qualities do you think Jessica has that have helped her move past her self-consciousness?
- Try some of the things Jessica does every day with her feet. How hard are they to do using only your feet?
- Visit the Angel With Special Needs website to learn how you can help disabled kids thrive just like Jessica does.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.