In 2004, Juan Mann was facing a hard time in his life that left him feeling very alone and sad. One day, on a whim, he made a big sign that said “FREE HUGS” and went with it to a busy intersection. At first, nobody acknowledged him. But then one woman accepted Juan’s hug, and that started the ball rolling.
After his success that first day, Juan wanted to continue giving free hugs. So he started a Free Hugs campaign, and today thousands of people have joined in, bringing the joy of free hugs to people all over the world!
This video shows the Free Hugs campaign at work.
- Here is a website that gives lots of information about the Free Hugs campaign and its benefits!
- In this video, Juan talks about how he started his Free Hugs campaign.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why do you think people were hesitant at first to get free hugs from Juan?
- Do you know someone who could use a free hug from you today?
- Visit the Free Hugs website to learn about this movement and how you can get involved!
- Visit the Random Acts of Kindness website to learn about other ways you can spread some joy today!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.