At 87 years old, Thelma Tavares looked very much like she might be someone’s great-grandmother. She had white hair and glasses, and she hobbled along with the aid of a crutch. But when Thelma stepped into the Boys and Girls Club of Truckee Meadows every day, she turned into someone nobody would expect – the coach for the group’s boxing club! Thelma and her husband Ray had started the boxing club many years before, and when Ray died, Thelma kept right on running the club. In fact, she coached the boxing club right up until her death at the age of 87 in 2010! This video tells Thelma’s amazing story.
- Here is an article about Thelma and her incredible perseverance.
- Here is another article about Thelma and her work with the boxing club.
Topics for Discussion:
- Do the boys of the boxing club like having Thelma as their coach? Why or why not?
- What motivated Thelma to keep coaching the boxing club even at such an advanced age?
- Visit the website for the Boys and Girls Club of Truckee Meadows to learn more about them and how you can get involved with Boys and Girls Clubs!
- Visit the Heavy Fists website for some beginner tips so you can learn to box!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.