Back in June 2012, we brought you a wonderful story about a boy named Caine and the amazing cardboard arcade he created in the fall of 2011. Now, on October 6, the first anniversary of Caine’s “arcade day” (the day in which a flash mob came to play at Caine’s Arcade), a worldwide event is being held, and it’s being called the Cardboard Challenge!
The Cardboard Challenge is exactly as its name states……it calls kids everywhere to use their creativity, just as Caine did, to create cardboard masterpieces of their own and use them to participate in a “global day of play”. But most importantly, it calls all people to celebrate the tremendous creativity of Caine and kids everywhere and the amazing impact this ingenuity can have on our world’s future!
This video tells Caine’s story and all about the upcoming Cardboard Challenge.
- Here’s the official website for Caine’s Arcade, where you can learn all about this amazing creation!
- Here is the first IMK post, written in June 2012, about Caine and his arcade.
Topics for Discussion:
- Do you think Caine ever expected his arcade to have the incredible impact it has?
- Why is creativity so important?
- Visit the Imagination Foundation website to learn more about the Cardboard Challenge and how you can get involved!
- Be inspired by Caine’s incredible creativity and build a cardboard dream of your own!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.