Brittany and Robbie Bergquist, two teenagers from Massachusetts, heard a news report one day about a soldier who had racked up a huge cell phone bill in order to keep in touch with his family back home. If the soldier couldn’t pay the bill, he would lose his phone service. Brittany and Robbie decided they couldn’t let that happen, so they raised the money to pay the soldier’s bill. And that inspired in them a remarkable idea……
Brittany and Robbie decided that it wasn’t enough just to pay one soldier’s phone bill. They wanted to help all soldiers this way, making sure that each would have the ability to call home as often as possible. So they started an organization called Cell Phones for Soldiers to do just that. Today, Cell Phones for Soldiers has provided military men and women with more than 150 million minutes of free phone time, allowing them to stay connected to their loved ones as they bravely serve America!
This video tells all about Cell Phones for Soldiers and the wonderful impact it’s having.
- Here is a website that tells all about Cell Phones for Soldiers!
- Here is another IMK post about a group that sends soldiers a little bit of the comfort of home.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why is it so important for soldiers to be able to keep in touch with their families?
- Do you know anyone who is away serving in the military? What difficulties do they and their families face?
- Brittany and Robbie saw a need and did what they could to help meet it. What need do you see in your community that you can help with?
- Visit the Cell Phones for Soldiers website to learn how you can get involved in this worthy cause!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.