“Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.” – Oliver Goldsmith
If you think about the quote above, it is really a very simple concept. However, the reality of actually getting up each time, especially that one last time, can sometimes be incredibly challenging. This is the concept of perseverance, and it is one that most successful people know well. It is the drive that keeps you focused on your goals, and it is the quality that is most often the determining factor in achieving those goals! To help inspire you to persevere toward your goals, here are some great quotes that emphasize just how valuable perseverance is!
“Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” – Julie Andrews
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas A. Edison
“Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.” – Babe Ruth
“Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” - Newt Gingrich
“Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.” – Samuel Johnson
“Perseverance, secret of all triumphs.” – Victor Hugo
“Just because you fail once doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything.” – Marilyn Monroe
“When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
“Be like a postage stamp, stick to something until you get there!” – Josh Billings
“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” - Randy Pausch
This video shows an incredible example of perseverance from Olympian Derek Redmond.
Here are some terrific IMK posts that demonstrate the power of perseverance:
- Samantha Garvey – From Homelessness to High Honor
- Aisha Chaudhary – Hopeful, Determined, and Wise Beyond Her Years
- Sarah Reinertsen – “Tougher Than the Rest”
- Gillian Lynne – Born to Dance Magically and Help Others Do the Same
- A Friendship Like No Other – Achieving Greatness Through the Pact
Topics for Discussion:
- Why do think perseverance plays such an important role in success?
- Did you ever have an experience in which your perseverance led to a great reward?
- Think of one goal you have and write down steps you can take to persevere as you seek to attain it!
- Visit the Kidsinco website for tips and activities that will help you with your perseverance!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.