When Ben Carson was a boy, most people didn’t think he’d do much with his life. He was poor, he got bad grades, and he got into trouble a lot.
But in one way, Ben was very lucky – he had a mother who believed in him and pushed him to work harder and be more determined. With her support and motivation, Ben was able to overcome his difficult early years. And he went on to become one of the world’s best pediatric neurosurgeons!
This video tells Ben’s amazing story.
- Here is a biography of Ben, his struggles, and his ultimate success as a neurosurgeon.
- This video contains an interview with Ben about what motivated him to succeed.
Topics for Discussion:
- What kinds of obstacles did Ben have to overcome in his early life?
- How did Ben’s mother help him achieve success?
- Visit the Carson Scholars Fund website to learn how you can help kids find their roads to success!
- Visit the Reading Room section of the Carson Scholars Fund website to learn more about the Ben Carson Reading Room program and how you and your school can get involved!