You are never too young to make a difference. Since he was 5 years old, Joshua Williams has been accomplishing big things with his goal to end hunger.
After seeing a tv commercial that showed children who were starving around the world, Joshua was moved to do something about it. Starting with a $20 donation from his grandma, he created a charity called Joshuas Heart that has provided thousands of pounds of food to hungry people in his North Miami (Florida) community.
“When you give, you will receive back. And giving makes you feel good.” Joshua’a long term goals is to stomp out world hunger. “In the United states 1 out of 6 children goes hungry daily. I cannot imagine not having food to eat when I need it, can you? If we all work at this we can make a huge “dent” in hunger, we can stomp it out.”
Watch Joshua’s inspiring story and mission, and then see what you can do to help.
- Here is a great article that discusses why Joshua cares so much about ending hunger.
- Here is a link to the Joshuas Heart Foundation website
- Here is a great list of children’s books about Hunger
- Here are some incredible facts that show how big a problem world hunger is
Topics for Discussion:
- Why is Joshua so focused on ending hunger?
- What causes people to go hungry in the United States and around the world? What can we do to stop the problem in the long term?
- Are there hungry people near you? How might you help them?
- Become one of Joshua’s Elves and help fight hunger in your community
- Here are other suggestions on things kids can do to end hunger
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.