Quincy Symonds is a 6 year old like no other. She is one of the best surfers and skateboarders for her age in the world. If her athletic talents are not enough, she achieved them despite a serious medical condition she was born with called congenital adrenal hyperplasia. The disease requires Quincy to take medicine three times every day.
Quincy began surfing at age 4 and started skateboarding a few months later. She was inspired to try the sport by watching her father surf near their home in Surfer’s Paradise, Australia. With just a few tries she was able to stand up on her board! Since then, her pure love for these sports keeps her on a board during much of her free time!
Check out Quincy’s amazing story below:
- Watch other great IMK stories about perseverance and courage
- Check out our inspiring list of quotes about courage and bravery
Topics for Discussion:
- Do you cWhat is most unique about Quincy? What character traits does she exhibit?
- Do you know someone with a medical condition who you consider to be brave and courageous?
- What inspires you about Quincy? Is there anything you can learn from her to apply in your own life?
- Want to get involved in youth surfing or learn about other inspiring young surfers? Check out the National Scholastic Surfing Association or the International Surfing Association.
- Volunteer or raise funds for a charity that helps sick children and their families, such as the Pediatric Angel Network, Miracle Flights
- Send a message of caring and hope to a sick child with Post Pals
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.