When you think of the word “hero”, who comes to mind? A firefighter? A soldier? A comic-book crimefighter?
Well, these do all fit into the category of hero, but many others do as well. For instance, an animal that rescues its family from a fire is most definitely a hero! So is a volunteer who quietly feeds the homeless at a soup kitchen, or a dad who endures long hours at a hard and frustrating job in order to provide for his family.
But here’s the best part about heroes……you can be a hero too, when you stand up for what is right, do what you know you should, and be the best person you can be! To help inspire you to bring out the hero you have inside you, here are some great quotes that highlight just what heroism is and what a wonderful impact it can have!
- “Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero’s heart.” – Unknown
- “I think a hero is really any person intent on making this a better place for all people.” – Maya Angelou
- “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Christopher Reeve
- “The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by.” – Felix Adler
- When I was very young, most of my childhood heroes wore capes, flew through the air, or picked up buildings with one arm. They were spectacular and got a lot of attention. But as I grew, my heroes changed, so that now I can honestly say that anyone who does anything to help a child is a hero to me. – Fred Rogers
- “Gold is tried by fire, brave men by adversity.” – Seneca
- “True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.” – Arthur Ashe
- “Those who say that we’re in a time when there are no heroes, they just don’t know where to look.” – Ronald Reagan
- “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – Norman Schwarzkopf
- “Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad.” – Unknown
- “We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up…discovering we have the strength to stare it down.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Being a hero isn’t about letting others know you did the right thing, it’s about you knowing you did the right thing.” – Grandpa Max Tennyson
- “The bravest sight in the world is to see a great man struggling against adversity.” – Seneca
- “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
- “Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh
This video shows an amazing act of heroism at its finest!
- Here are several inspiring stories from IMK about heroes
- Check out all of our other inspiring quotes for kids
- Here is a fun story that illustrates a great way to be a super hero!
Topics for Discussion:
- What does heroism mean to you?
- Which of the hero quotes is your favorite? Why?
- What do heroes have in common?
- Who is a hero to you? Why?
- Being a hero can be as simple as performing a kind act for someone. So who can you be a hero to today?
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.