She may be a young girl, but when it comes to sisterly devotion and giving back, Hailey Scheinman is wise beyond her years! 10-year-old Hailey has a twin sister named Olivia (Livy), and the two are practically inseparable. This is true despite the fact that physically, the girls are very different…..Hailey is healthy, but Livy suffers from epilepsy and cerebral palsy.
Regardless of the physical difference, Hailey’s love for Livy shines through every day as the two play and read together and as Hailey helps her sister with her many needs.
And Hailey has taken this love even one step further. In order to help with the cost of Livy’s physical therapy and to help other families with large medical costs, Hailey created and sold artwork and jewelry through her charity, Livy’s Hope. Hailey heard her parents talking about how to raise money for Livy’s expensive medical treatments. She immediately started making bracelets and painting pictures and selling them on eBay.
More recently, Hailey and her family decided to start giving back to other families in need. Now, they give 100% of the profits from everything sold at Livy’s Hope to other families who are going through what the Scheinman’s have experienced.
Through her incredible kindness and compassion, Hailey has given new meaning to the words “sisterly love” and has inspired countless others with her actions!
This video shows the extent of Hailey’s love and devotion for Livy.
Here’s a video that tells Livy’s story from her perspective.
In this incredible video, Hailey provides inspiration to find your way to give back.
- Here’s another IMK post about a boy who uses his talent to raise money for his sick friend!
Topics for Discussion:
- What do you think makes Hailey so incredibly devoted to her sister?
- Do you know anyone with cerebral palsy or epilepsy? What special needs do they have?
- Hailey uses her talent to help someone she loves. What talent do you have that you can use to help someone you love?
- Visit Livy’s Hope, a website dedicated to Livy, to learn more about Hailey and Livy and how you can help support them!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.