The Climax-Fisher Knights High School girls basketball team from Minnesota accomplished something that few others teams ever have done. They lost 84 games in a row! That is a lot of losing.
During each of those games, though, their coach said they played hard and kept their spirits up. While a few girls quit during that time, most stayed on with the team.
And lucky they did. Because it is what they did in the 85th game that made up for all of those losses!
Although the Knights were leading in the first part of the game, most of their players fouled out in the second half. That left only their youngest 3 players remaining in the game! Their 85th loss seemed very close at hand.
Somehow, the 3 girls pulled together, and played tough. In the end, after two overtimes they BEAT their opponent to end their streak! It was an incredible win and a great example of perseverance in action. Since then, they went on to win several more games over the rest of the season.
Their story is a great reminder to never give up, always believe in yourself and keep trying no matter what the odds are.
This very inspiring video, thanks to CBS News, is a must-see.
- Read and watch other great IMK stories about perseverance, basketball and sports
- Here are some great IMK quotes about perseverance and hard work / doing your best
Topics for Discussion:
- What is most remarkable about the Knights?
- What is perseverance? What are ways you can show perseverance?
- Can you think of someone you know who demonstrates perseverance? How so?
- Describe a time when you have shown perseverance
- Think about the Knights the next time you feel like quitting something, whether at school, in sports or at home.
- Think about one thing in your life could benefit from more perseverance and a better attitude. Dream it and do it.