Halloween is almost here, and you know what that means – jack o’lanterns, costumes, spooky ghosts and witches, and best of all lots of candy! But do you know how Halloween first came to be celebrated in America and how the numerous Halloween traditions got their start? See the video and the additional resources below to find out these and other fun facts about this great holiday.
This video contains some facts you may not know about Halloween!
- Here’s a website that has lots of fun facts about Halloween!
- Here’s a website that has great ideas for Halloween games and activities.
- Here’s a website that has fun, spooky Halloween treats you can make!
Topics for Discussion:
- Out of all the costumes you’ve worn on Halloween, which is your favorite? Why?
- What is one new thing you’ve learned about Halloween that you didn’t know before?
- Visit the InspireMyKids post about Talia Leman, who used Halloween as an opportunity one year to raise money for Hurricane Katrina victims!
- Visit the Ladies’ Home Journal Do Good website page to learn ways you can incorporate good works into your Halloween!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.