Lauren was diagnosed with brain cancer just before she was able to fulfill her ultimate dream…to play college basketball. While others might have given up on their dream, she did not let her cancer stand in the way. In her bravery, she taught us all about the power of staying positive and helping others in the toughest of times.
Despite her incredible courage and perseverance, Lauren Hill passed away last week. She leaves a wonderful legacy behind her.
After learning of her cancer diagnosis, she turned her energies to fundraising for cancer research and to inspiring others. In her words: “Never give up on your dreams, find something to fight for. I fight for others.”.
She focused her fight on helping prevent cancer in others. She raised well over $1 million for The Cure Starts Now Foundation. She also continued to play for her team at Mt. St. Joseph University whenever her health would allow. And then, when she could not play for the team anymore, she became an Assistant Coach.
Lauren Hill has touched thousands, maybe millions of lives, thanks to her bravery and generosity. The world is a much, much better place thanks to her. Her spirit will live on forever here at InspireMyKids and in countless people and children around the world.
Here is a vidoe that talks about Lauren’s inspiring life and legacy;
- Learn more about Lauren thanks to Wikipedia
- Click here for many great IMK stories and videos about brave people and animals.
- Check out IMK quotes about strength and bravery and perseverance
- Learn about brain cancer here at The Cure Starts Now Foundation. Also, learn more about cancer thanks to kidshealth.org.
Topics for Discussion:
- What is most special about Lauren? What character traits does she exhibit?
- Who is the bravest person that you know? What makes them brave?
- What are some things you can do in your life that take require bravery?
- As Lauren says, find something to fight for. Here is a great list of ideas to help animals from the ASPCA and here are ways to help the environment.
- Check out other inspiring stories about people helping those with cancer here on IMK and pick a way that you can help
- Do something to help another person in need even if it is not easy or convenient for you. This can be as simple as becoming friends with someone that is being bullied, like the Queen Creek football team did or like Kevin Curwick did.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.