Overall, Ben Underwood was your ordinary teenage boy – he liked to ride his bike, play video games, and hang out with his friends. But in one major way, Ben was anything but ordinary…..
At a very young age, Ben lost both of his eyes to cancer. However, Ben decided that he wasn’t going to let his visual impairment stop him. Instead, he learned a technique called echolocation that helped him be able to “see”, even without any eyes!
This video tells Ben’s incredible story.
- To learn more about Ben and his incredible life, visit his website!
- Here is an article that tells more about Ben and his amazing echolocation!
Topics for Discussion:
- What did Ben use to help him “see”?
- Of the things Ben was able to do, what surprised you the most?
- Try using Ben’s “clicker” method of echolocation for yourself! Can you do some of the things he did?
- Visit the American Cancer Society website to learn more about Ben’s cancer and other types, and find out how you can help!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.