At InspireMyKids, our mission has always been about helping to inspire kids to become the best version of themselves. And while inspiration is often the first ingredient to success in life, consistent action is what turns dreams and goals into reality. And consistent action is no easy thing!
Until now! InspireMyKids is excited to be partnering with the good folks at Streaking to help bring a new and unique way of helping kids build consistency and perseverance to achieve their dreams.
So what is streaking?
Streaking is taking very simple, consistent, and achievable actions that will help you become the person you want to be. You are in control and you set the rules.
What are some examples of streaking?
It could be doing seven push-ups a week, making one new friend a month, or exercising for 5 minutes every day. It all depends on what you want to do or become. As you record your streak, your small wins add up to bigger wins that help you move towards your goals. And develop really important character traits, like perseverance and grit along the way.
How do you start streaking?
1) Create a “Be Statement”
Think about who you want to be. What do you want to be better at in your life? Maybe you want to be healthier? Kinder? Better at a hobby or sport? Write down your Be Statement. For example:
- “I want to be healthier”
- “I want to be kinder”
Every streak you choose to create will be connected to this “Be Statement.” To get started, here is a link to our Be Statement Worksheet for Kids
2) Choose Your Streak
Think about a super simple action that you can take to help you move towards who you want to be. Many people struggle with consistency because they make the activity too difficult. But it should not only be simple, but it should also be something exciting and fun for you. It should be something you can do even if you are sick or at grandma’s house. Here is a starter list of streak ideas to get you thinking!
3) Record Your Streak
If you don’t keep track of your streak then you really don’t have a streak! Keep a record of your streak over time using this downloadable streak sheet.
4) Create a Community
Tell your friends and family about your streak. Ask them to support you. Or even ask them to start their own Streak with you!
5) Keep it up!
Each day, week, or month you complete your streaks you are one step closer to becoming the person you want to be! The Streak Ladder shows how it all works together to help make you the person you want to become.
- Check out our other inspiring quotes and stories about a key character trait related to streaks – perseverance
- Here is a link to the Streaking website where you can learn more about it
- Learn about how Tom Brady became the Greatest Of All Time (G.O.A.T.) by using streaks
- See how Ruth Bader Ginsburg, became the person she was, by her consistency.
- Learn about the awesome Jensen’s who have created a family streak based on gratitude
- Your streak should be simple to start. But to see the power of streaks to change people’s lives, here are a few examples of some of the greatest streaks of all time!
Topics for Discussion:
- Can streaking be used to make the world a better place? How about worse?
- Why are persistence and consistency so important in life?
- Do you know someone who is very consistent at taking action and growing towards the best version of themself? Who are they and what is special about them?
- Think about your own actions and habits. Which ones make you a better person? Which ones hurt you?
- What is your Be Statement? What is one streak that you would like to start?
- Start your first streak using either online or offline tools:
- Offline: Use our downloadable Be Statement worksheet to get started. Check out our starter list of streak ideas for kids. Then make it yours! Create and track your own unique streak using a Streak Sheet.
- Online: Use the Streaking app! Here is a link to download the Streaking app for IOS and for Android to help you start and keep track of your streaks!
- Here are tips for teachers about how to use streaking in the classroom
- Here is a story about a classroom that has had great success with streaking
- Here is a list of classroom streak ideas
- Here are ways to design streaks for kids