Davyon Johnson, from Muskogee, Oklahoma, doesn’t understand what all the attention is about. In his words, he just “did the right thing.” And while that is true, saving not just one, but two people on the same day is kind of a really big deal. In fact, it is the stuff superheroes are made of!
First off, Davyon was at school and heard a boy say “I’m choking. I’m choking.” A 7th grader was choking on a water bottle cap. Having learned the Heimlich Maneuver on YouTube, he sprung into action and, after 3 tries, was able to get the bottle cap to pop out of the boy’s throat.
Then, later the same day, he and his mom were driving home when they saw smoke coming from a house. He asked his mom to stop and he approached the house. He found an elderly woman having trouble leaving the burning home. So he did the right thing. Davyon stopped and helped her safely exit the house. The fire department soon arrived to take over.
Davyon’s amazing actions caught the attention of The Muskogee Police Department who presented him with a certificate naming him an honorary member of their force.
Davyon learned to do the right thing from his family, including his mom, dad, and uncle. And Davyon aspires to be an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) when he grows up.
When he is not saving people, Davyon enjoys wrestling, basketball, RC cars, and Fortnite.
Davyon is a great example of a young person making the most of their talents to help others. Check out this video and then learn how you can prepare to help others just like Davyon.
- Check out other InspireMyKids articles and quotes about heroes and courage
- Learn about the importance of CPR here thanks to KidsHealth.org
- Learn what it’s like to be an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Topics for Discussion:
- What is unique about Davyon? Do you think he is a superhero?
- Have you ever been in a position to save someone’s life?
- What do you think is most inspiring about Davyon?
- Would you like to learn the Heimlich Maneuver or CPR? Why or why not?
- Davyon helped others in their time of need. What gifts and talents do you have that you can use to help someone you love, in your school or community?
- Check out Heimlich Heroes to learn more about how you can save someone who is choking