Many athletes devote their time and money to kids’ charities. But two-time Olympic gold skier and ex-pro football player Jeremy Bloom spends his time helping seniors. In 2008, inspired by his grandmother, Bloom founded Wish of a Lifetime. Since then he has made countless dreams come true for low-income seniors. In March 2010, Jeremy and his team took a bunch of veteran heroes to the WWII Memorial in Washington, D.C. It was the trip of a lifetime for all involved. Watch this video to see how Jeremy enriches the lives of these very deserving seniors.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why is it important for everyone to listen to our senior citizens?
- What makes what Jeremy Bloom’s foundation so special?
- What older person in your life can you show appreciation to?
- Find out what you can do for the senior citizens in your community!
- Check out the US Deptartment of Veterans Affairs website to learn more about WWII veterans and ways you can support them.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.