Chance Anthony is a senior starter for his high school football team. He was born with the lower part of his right arm missing. Yet even so, as the lead receiver for the team, his receptions have gone for over 200 yards and two touchdowns. He’s also had 12 solo tackles on defense.
When he was born, doctors said to his parents “You’ll miss it more than he will.” Anthony has proven the doctors right. In the weight room, Anthony bench presses an amazing 235 pounds! A 3-year starter in football, Anthony’s great attitude is an inspiration to his team and to his community.
“For me, I just want to be like everybody else,” says Chance, who also plays guard for the basketball team. “It’s no big deal for me. Other people look up to me for it, but for me, it’s just something I live with.”
Here’s a video that tells Chance’s story.
- Check out this website to learn more about disabled athletes!
- Check out this other inspiremykids story about an athlete with no legs!
Topics for Discussion:
- What makes Chance Anthony special?
- If Chance can do all that he does with one arm what obstacle can you overcome to be successful?
- Who inspires you at your school?
- What could you do to inspire others in your community? Do it!
- Visit the website for the Athletes with Disabilities Network to learn more about these athletes and how you can support them!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.