Public School 22 (P.S. 22) in Graniteville, New York is an elementary school much like many others in America. However, in one big way, this school is extraordinary! P.S. 22 has a chorus that was started in 2000 by music teacher Gregg Breinberg. Mr. B, as his students call him, makes the chorus a wonderfully uplifting experience for its members. He encourages them to work hard, respect each other, and express themselves freely. In 2006 Mr. B shared some P.S. 22 Chorus videos on the Internet, and from there things really took off! The chorus began getting requests to sing at concerts, on TV, and at political and charitable functions. One of the highlights of their success came earlier this year, when they got to sing at the Academy Awards!
This video shows the P.S. 22 Chorus as they head to the Academy Awards.
- Here is an article that tells the story of the P.S. 22 Chorus and their incredible success.
- Here is a video of the P.S. 22 Chorus’ performance at the Academy Awards!
Topics for Discussion:
- What did Mr. B encourage the P.S. 22 Chorus to do? Why?
- How do you think the members of the chorus feel when they sing in their concerts, TV appearances, and functions?
- Is there something you dream of doing? Remember Mr. B’s values – work hard, show respect, and express yourself freely – and go for your dream!
- Check out the website for the P.S. 22 Chorus to learn more about them and how you can help support them!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.