“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
These were the words spoken by astronaut Neil Armstrong, the legendary astronaut who recently passed away, as he took the first footsteps ever taken by a man onto the moon!
Born on August 5, 1930, Neil Armstrong was the son of a pilot who followed in his father’s footsteps. He learned to fly a plane even before he learned to drive and went on to fly in The Korean War. Shortly after that, Neil joined NASA and quickly became one of its top-level astronauts. But his crowning achievement as an astronaut came on July 20, 1969, when Neil made history by becoming the first man ever to set foot on the moon! In doing so, Neil and his fellow astronauts opened the door to a whole new era of space exploration and inspired the world to dream of endless possibility!
This video tells the story of the amazing Neil Armstrong.
- Here’s a biography that tells all about the great Neil Armstrong.
- Here’s the video that documents Neil’s first steps on the moon and legendary quote!
Topics for Discussion:
- Why was Neil Armstrong’s successful trip to the moon so important?
- How do you think Neil felt as he prepared to take his first steps onto the moon?
- Neil’s journey to the moon showed that with hard work and determination, nearly anything is possible. Be inspired by Neil and get working on the “possibilities” in your life!
- Visit the NASA website to learn more about Neil Armstrong, space exploration, and maybe even how you can become an astronaut yourself!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.