Education and learning are one of the most important ingredients to becoming all that you can be. How open you are to learning will help determine your path in life.
Education does not just happen at school. It is not just about Math and other subjects. Your education and learning are happening all the time. They happen any time your mind is open to learning.
Education is not just about learning facts, but more so about learning how to think. It is learning to make good choices. It is learning to act with purpose.
Becoming educated is a lifelong process. It can be hard and frustrating at times, but it can also be incredibly exciting and enriching. Most importantly, learning and education can help you:
- Change the world
- Become a better person
- Reach your potential
- Eliminate your fears
- Make the most of mistakes
- Support your family
Here are some inspiring quotations that capture the power of education and what it can do for you and the world:
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” - Nelson Mandela
“When you know better you do better.” – Maya Angelou
“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” – Carl Sagan
“Even the wisest mind has something yet to learn.” – George Santayana
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.” – Henry Ford
“The important thing is not to stop questioning.” - Albert Einstein
“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.” – Chinese Proverb
“None of us is as smart as all of us. ” – Ken Blanchard
“A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body.” Benjamin Franklin
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.” – Plutarch
“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.” Aristotle
“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” – Naguib Mahfouz
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” – W.B. Yeats
“If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.” – Albert Einstein
“Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.” - Marie Curie
“A mistake is a crash-course in learning.” – Billy Anderson
“We are not what we know but what we are willing to learn.” – Mary Catherine Bateson
ʺHe who opens a school door, closes a prison.ʺ – Victor Hugo
ʺKnowledge will bring you the opportunity to make a difference.” – Claire Fagan
“Education is teaching our children to desire the right things.” – Plato
“I believe that we learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired.” – Martha Grahamʺ“Education is the power to think clearly, the power to act well in the world’s work, and the power to appreciate life.” – Brigham Young
ʺI received the fundamentals of my education in school, but that was not enough. My real education, the superstructure, the details, the true architecture, I got out of the public library. For an impoverished child whose family could not afford to buy books, the library was the open door to wonder and achievement, and I can never be sufficiently grateful that I had the wit to charge through that door and make the most of it.”- Isaac Asimov
“Painful as it may be, a significant emotional event can be the catalyst for choosing a direction that serves us – and those around us – more effectively. Look for the learning.” – Louisa May Alcott
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” – Albert Einstein
This video from a few years ago features First Lady Michelle Obama discussing the importance of education for girls:
Here are some IMK posts that importance of education:
- Ben Carson – From Troubled Youth to Inspirational Success
- Michelle Obama – Words of Wisdom for a Hopeful Tomorrow
- Samantha Garvey – From Homelessness to High Honor
- Jaime Escalante – He Touch Unteachable Students to Shine
Topics for Discussion:
- What is your favorite quote above? Why?
- How has education helped you become a better person?
- How do you think the world would be different if everyone had a good education?
- What are the important parts of a good education?
- Not all children are provided with an equal chance for an education. If you are fortunate to have a good education system, you can try to help other children in need. Hold a fundraiser or raise money for a charity in your area or in another part of the world that supports education
- Think about what you can do to improve your own education and learning? Consider using this worksheet to set some goals for yourself?
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.