Did you know that there is a World Championship held each year for children who play golf? Sky Sudberry knows about it because, along with thousands of other kids from around the world, she has participated in it several times.
Sky is a 4th grader at The Woodlands Preparatory School near Houston, Texas. She is also one of the best golfers for her age in the world.
Her greatness come from a few places. First, she has a real passion for golf. She loves the sport. She also works very hard and practices every day. As golfing great Gary Player said “the harder you work, the luckier you get.” Sky is a great example of this.
Most inspiring to us here at IMK, is not just her work ethic or skill, but her positive attitude. Gary Player also said, “we create success or failure on the (golf) course primarily by our thoughts.” The same is true for life. For a young person, Sky really seems to have a great attitude on the golf course, whether she is winning or losing. And even more importantly her attitude off the golf course, in everyday life, seems to be just as positive.
Sky, along with several other very inspiring young people, was featured in a recent documentary movie, The Short Game. It tells the story of 8 children who were striving to win the World Championship. Although the movie is about golf, there are plenty of great life lessons for kids to be learned. We highly recommend you check it out sometime!
But first, take a look at Sky’s inspiring story and meet her dad as well!
Now here is a trailer for The Short Game movie:
- Learn more about the sport of and it’s history here
- Learn how and where to play golf in the USA here at US Kids Golf
- Watch other great IMK stories about children and adults that exhibit perseverance and passion
- Read IMK’s list great quotes for kids about hard work and doing your best
- Check out other inspiring IMK stories and quotes about sports
Topics for Discussion:
- What do you think is most special about Sky?
- When do you try your hardest at something? What inspires you to do so? What is the result? How does it make you feel?
- How does a persons attitude impact their life?
- Talk about a person you know that always tries their best. Is there anything you can learn from them?
- Choose one thing in your life where you are not doing your best and make a commitment to change this. Start doing it and see how it makes you feel.
- Commit to working harder at something that matters to you. Find a cause that you care about, such as animals, and find something you can do to help. Click here for a great list of ideas to help animals from the ASPCA or here for ways to help the environment.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.