Teenage sisters Emma and Julia Mogus, from Oakville, Ontario, Canada, grew up having a passion for reading. They read thousands of books. And they just assumed that all kids had access to a wide variety of books in their home, school and library.
This is why, a few years back, when they learned that children in some areas of the world have don’t have access to books, they were inspired to take action. So, they began to save up allowance money to buy books. And they started to collect donations of used books. What started out small, soon become quite big!
They founded an organization called “Books With No Bounds”. They provide Aboriginal children and teens living in remote communities (in Canada) with books donated by publishers, authors, schools, individuals and organizations. Now, four years later, the sisters have donated over 150,000 books to children in need!
As Emma said, “There are no bounds to what we can do and who we can be.” And she and her sister are doing their part to help children become the best version of themselves.
The passion and commitment that these two young ladies have shown towards others is truly inspiring. They have worked tirelessly after school and on weekends to make a difference in children’s lives. Check out more about their inspiring story in this video below and then see how you can get involved to help them!
- Visit the Books with No Bounds website to learn more about Emma and Julia’s work
- Check out Reading Is Fundamental to learn about issues that occur when children don’t have access to books
- Read about other people who featured on IMK who are making a difference with reading
- Check out other great IMK stories about children and adults that exhibit caring
- Read IMK’s list of great quotes for kids about caring
Topics for Discussion:
- What is special about Books With No Bounds?
- What inspired Emma and Julia to take action?
- Do you see a problem around you that impacts a lot of people, but no one is doing anything about it?
- Find out if your school or community may have books to donate to Books with No Bounds.See how you can get involved with Books with No Bounds here
- Find a problem in your world that needs fixing. Talk to you friends, parents and teachers about what you could do to solve it.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.