Ana Dodson is a girl who faced great difficulties, being an an orphan in her early years. But then she was adopted and given a new chance at life. She used that chance to give back to those in need. Oh yeah…..and she did all this by the time she was 11!
Ana was adopted by a U.S. couple after her mom died in her native Peru. She returned to Peru at age 11. Having been an orphan herself, she was inspired to help the orphans she met during her trip. She saw that these kids lacked things that Ana took for granted in the U.S. They had little or no nutritional food, clothing, toys and books. So Ana created Peruvian Hearts, which raises money for orphans in Peru. “There are so many kids who don’t have the opportunities I do,” Ana says. “Peruvian Hearts has taught me that even when one sees a situation that appears to be hopeless there is still hope. I believe that each person can change the world a little bit at a time.”
This video tells Ana’s amazing story.
- Check out the website for Peruvian Hearts.
- Check out this website to learn more about orphans in Peru and other parts of the world.
Topics for Discussion:
- What character traits does Ana exhibit?
- What inspired Ana to take action?
- What are you most thankful for?
- How can you help others who are in need?
- Check out the Volunteer Match website to learn more things you can do to help the world!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.