Do you remember the 1992 Olympics? If you do, you’ll surely remember this story. The determination of Derek Redmond was one of the best moments of the 1992 Olympics. In one of his races, Derek badly injured his hamstring. But somehow, with his dad’s help, he found the strength to finish the race. This video shows the amazing story.
- Here is an article about this inspiring event.
- Checkout this website to learn more about Derek and his accomplishments!
Topics for Discussion:
- What quality did Derek show by finishing the race even though he was injured?
- What made his dad jump out of the stands and be with his son in his worst moment as an Olympic athlete?
- Go tell your dad how much you love him and appreciate having him for a father!
- The next time you feel like quitting something, remember Derek and find the strength to hang in there and finish!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.