Cory Nieves, a 10 year old from Englewood, NJ has created an amazing cookie business, Mr. Cory’s Cookies, which now sells more than 1,000 cookies a week!
Back in 2009, Cory told his mom that he was tired of taking the bus to school and wanted to buy his family a car. He came up with the idea to sell hot chocolate to raise money.
He spent lots of spare time selling cocoa and Cory’s mom could see his passion growing. She encouraged him to continue selling hot cocoa to save money for college. Not only did Cory keep at it, but he began selling lemonade and cookies. Word spread about his delicious cookies and Cory started selling at many events and markets in his home state of New Jersey.
Since then, Cory has refined his recipe to include all natural ingredients and added new varieties. He has also started to give back more and more, donating some of his profits to charity and also teaching other young people how to start their own businesses.
Watch Cory’s super inspirational story below and you will see that he is no cookie cutter kid!
You can also watch Cory receive a special gift on the Ellen Show here
- Here is another article about Cory and his great story
- Here are other great IMK stories about inventors and kid entrepreneurs
- Check out the home of Mr. Cory’s Cookies here
Topics for Discussion:
- Why has Cory been successful with his business?
- How can inventions and business make the world a better place? Can you name some that have?
- Do you have any ideas for products or inventions that could improve people’s lives or make the world a better place?
- Find a Camp Invention or Club Invention in your area to have fun, learn about inventing and make your own inventions!
- Get inspired by the many great kids inventions at Inventnow.org and learn how to make your idea a reality
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.