Zac Gossage and Vincent Butterfield are first graders and best friends from Missouri. But theirs is no ordinary friendship.
After Zac was not feeling well for several weeks, he was found to have Leukemia, the most common form of cancer in children. Each year, nearly 200,000 children around the world are diagnosed with cancer.
When Vincent learned of Zac’s illness, he began to think of any way he could help. First, to help with medical costs, Vincent sold scarves that his family made and raised $200 for his friend. Then, when he learned Zac would be losing his hair due to his treatment, he decided he did not want him to feel alone. So, in a great act of kindness and friendship, Vincent shaved his head as well!
Although they are very young, these two boys have shown the world the power of friendship and caring. They are a great example for young and old. Watch this video that tells their inspiring story of friendship:
- Check out other inspiring stories and videos from IMK about friendship and caring
- Explore our inspiring friendship quotes and kindness quotes
- Read about other inspiring and brave children who are battling cancer at the St. Baldrick’s website
- Visit kidshealth.org to learn more about cancer
Topics for Discussion:
- What character traits do you see in Vincent and Zac display?
- How are these two friends inspiring to you?
- What is the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for you? How did it make you feel?
- Would you like to shave your head to support a friend or child who has cancer? Check out a charity that has started a worldwide movement in head shaving by visiting the St. Baldrick’s website
- Do you have a friend or family member in need? How are you helping them now? Is there anything more you can do? Dream it and do it.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.