When Felix Finkbeiner was nine, a teacher in his class in Munich, Germany asked them to prepare a report about climate change. As Felix started doing research, he learned about a woman named Wangari Maathai who had helped get 30 million trees planted in Africa. She had done this to help restore the billions of trees that mankind cuts down each year. And because trees can help protect the environment.
Felix decided he wanted to get a million trees planted in every country he could. He started talking about it, and his idea took off. He started an organization called Plant for the Planet. Within in first year, children from Germany had planted over 100,000 trees!
Then, through the help of the United Nations, he took his idea to kids from all over the world. Soon, he had children in nearly 100 countries planting trees on behalf of Plant for the Planet.
Now, nearly over 10 years since he started, Plant for the Planet has a new goal – to plant 1 trillion trees!
Felix provides an amazing example of what one child, with passion and vision, can do to help change the world.
Check out Felix’s inspiring story below and then see how you can get involved in Plant for the Planet!
Here is an earlier video about Felix and Plant for the Planet:
- Here is an article about Felix and his amazing efforts.
- Here is another article about Felix and how he inspires the planting of trees.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why does Felix want to plant so many trees?
- Felix wants to help the environment by planting trees. What are some other ways to help the environment?
- Help Felix and the environment – plant a tree in your yard today!
- Visit Felix’s website, Plant for the Planet, to find out how you can get involved in this worthy cause!
- Check out this IMK in Action guide: How Kids Can Help the Environment
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.