8-year-old Abbie Jacobson was shopping with her mom one day when she looked down and saw it……a small green purse with a lot of money and jewelry inside. For many young girls, the temptation might have been to keep the newfound treasure. But Abbie….. her first thought was one of compassion. She immediately took the purse to her mother and told her they needed to find its owner. Fortunately, the purse also contained a debit card with a name on it, and so the purse was able to be returned to its owner.
The owner of the purse turned out to be an elderly Cambodian lady who had put all her valuables and saved money in it in preparation for a trip back to Cambodia. Her gratitude was clear as she called Abbie “her angel”, and word of Abbie’s kind act spread. When the news reached the head of the Bank of Maine, he decided that Abbie’s good deed should be rewarded, and reward her he did – with tickets to a sold-out Justin Bieber concert!
Abbie’s act came from a kind heart and a desire to help. And although the Justin Bieber concert she received was a bonus, it is also a celebration of those very qualities and the great impact they’ve had!
- Here’s an article that tells all about Abbie’s selfless act of responsibility!
- Here’s another article that talks about Abbie and her spirit of compassion.
Topics for Discussion:
- What would you have done if you had found the purse?
- How do you think Abbie felt when someone recognized her good act and rewarded her for it?
- When Abbie was faced with a difficult choice, she followed her heart and did the right thing. Be inspired by her example as you face your own tough choices in life!
- Visit the Compassionate Kids website to learn ways you can show compassion, just as Abbie did!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.