For Ahmed Kelly and his brother Emmanuel, life didn’t have the best start. They were born in the middle of a war zone and abandoned at an orphanage, both with severely deformed arms and legs. However, at the age of 6, the lives of Ahmed and Emmanuel were forever changed when a lady named Moira Kelly brought them to Australia for surgery and ended up adopting them!
Once in Australia, Ahmed and Emmanuel began to live happy, fulfilling lives, pursuing their passions with gusto. For Ahmed, this meant football and swimming. Despite his disability, through hard work and determination, Ahmed became a fierce competitor and a premium athlete. In 2012, Ahmed’s dedication paid off as he took his world-class swimming ability all the way to the Paralympics! But best of all, Ahmed showed the world that no matter what difficulties life may present, dreams still can come true!
This video tells Ahmed’s amazing story.
- Here’s a website with lots of great information about Ahmed.
- Here’s an interview in which Ahmed talks about his inspirational journey.
Topics for Discussion:
- What do you think inspires Ahmed to work so hard at his sports?
- What qualities must Moira have that made her want to adopt not only Ahmed and Emmanuel but also their sisters, Trishna and Krishna?
- Visit the International Paralympic Committee website to learn more about the Paralympics and how you can support them!
- Visit the website for Australian Athletes with a Disability to learn more about this great organization and how you can join them in helping these athletes thrive!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.