Chess may have been invented in the 6th century, but it’s creating new dreams each day for kids around the USA and the world.
How could that be? Well, it has helped them find something they can focus on and be great at. And since a game of chess only involves a chess board and one other person, it is something that be practiced by almost anyone at anytime!
Have you ever played chess? Do you play it regularly? Well you just might want to start doing so! There are so many benefits. Chess can help improve your:
- Math and reading skills
- Focus and concentration
- Voice (no, it can’t…this is one is joke!)
Maybe you don’t think chess is for you? Well think again.
Below are three stories about kids from across the world, from Brooklyn, New York (USA) to Uganda (Africa) to Franklin County, Mississippi (USA), who you might not expect to take up chess. All of their communities are quite poor. But they tried out the game, stuck with it and it has changed their lives and their communities! Watch these inspiring stories below and then see how you take your chess game (and maybe your life!) to the next level!
- Check out other InspireMyKids stories about chess here
- Check out other great InspireMyKids stories about grit and perseverance
Topics for Discussion:
- Why is chess good for you?
- How has chess changes the lives of certain kids and communities around the world?
- Are you interested in playing chess? What is stopping you from playing?
- Do you want to learn how to play chess? Check out ChessKid.com!
- Want to start a chess club at your school? ChessKid will teach you how to start a chess club
- Download an app that will help teach you chess or improve your skills, like those featured on CommonSenseMedia such as: Chess Academy for Kids, Solitaire Chess or for older kids, Chess With Friends
- If you love to play chess, you can use it to not just help yourself but contribute to charity at chess4charity!