Over the past few weeks, the world watched in awe as the 10,000 athletes of the XXX Olympiad gave their all and inspired millions with their strength and determination. Some of the most touching stories of the London 2012 Olympics were the ones in which athletes overcame hardship to pursue their dreams. If you were inspired by the determination of Olympic athletes, you may be even more amazed by watching the Paralympics, which begins on August 29th.
The Paralympics are a multi-sport event for athletes with physical, mental and sensorial disabilities.
The Paralympic Games first started in 1948 to provide an event for injured World War II veterans. It takes place following the Olympic Games each year and has grown from a few hundred athletes participating to thousands of athletes! In fact, it is now the second largest sports competition in the world!
As the Paralympics begins, prepare to be amazed and inspired again! The athletes of the Paralympics show the world the true power of strength and determination, in the face of difficult circumstances.
Thess videos show just what the Olympic and Paralympic spirit is all about!
- Here is a website with lots of great information about the 2012 Olympics.
- Here is a website with terrific information about the 2012 Paralympics.
- Here are IMK posts about some truly inspiring Olympic and Paralympic heroes:
Topics for Discussion:
- What are your favorite Olympic and Paralympic moments?
- What are some qualities of Paralympic athletes?
- Be inspired by the Olympic and Paralympic athletes who have realized their dreams and start making your dreams come true today!
- Visit the website for the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics to learn more about these games and what you can do to support and enjoy them!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.