As Calvin Coolidge once said, “No person was ever honored for what he received. He was honored for what he gave.”
Success in life comes does not come from what we have, but from what we give. Giving someone a present is one type of generosity. But, giving your time, your talents or your friendship can make an even bigger difference.
You can give to a friend in need, someone who is struggling or to your community. The great thing about giving is that you can do it anytime and anywhere. You just need to think about others and how you can help them.
As you give more to others, you will see more good come from this. Their joy and your joy. It feels good to give. As Ben Carson said, “Happiness doesn’t result from what we get, but from what we give.”
If we can all give a little more to others, we will not only be be better people ourselves, but the world will be a better place. As Margaet Cho said, “Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else’s life forever.”
Check out these inspiring quotes about giving and generosity:
- “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away” – Pablo Picasso
- “Happiness doesn’t result from what we get, but from what we give.” – Ben Carson
- “No one has ever become poor by giving.” – Anne Frank
- “Never get tired of doing little things for others, sometimes those little things occupy the biggest parts of their hearts.” – Unknown
- “Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.” Kahlil Gibran
- “Sometime when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else’s life forever.” – Margaret Cho
- “What I spent I had; what I saved I lost; what I gave, I have.” – German motto
- “No person was ever honored for what he received. He was honored for what he gave.” – Calvin Coolidge
- “I must be willing to give whatever it takes to do good to others. This requires that I be willing to give until it hurts.” – Mother Teresa
- “Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can,
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.” – John Wesley
- “You will discover that you have two hands. One is for helping yourself and the other is for helping others.” – Audrey Hepburn
- “Life is not about giving up or giving in. Life is about giving.” – Anthony Douglas Williams
- “I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “We should give as we would receive, cheerfully, quickly and without hesitation; for there is little grace in a benefit that sticks to the fingers.” – Seneca
- “The true meaning of life is to plant trees, and create shade where you do not necessarily expect to sit.” – Kamari aka Lyrikal
- “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchhill
- “We rise by lifting others.” – Robert Ingersoll
- “When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself.” – Mary Engelgreit
- “The best way to find yourself, is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Ghandi
- “Believe, when you are most unhappy, that there is something for you to do in the world. So long as you can sweeten another’s pain, life is not in vain.” – Helen Keller
- “For it is in giving that we receive.” – Francis of Assisi
- “The only gift is a portion of thyself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” – Charles Dickens
- “There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.” – John Holmes
- “Think of giving not as a duty, but as a privilege.” – John D. Rockefeller
- “Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “You can give without loving, but you can never love without giving.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
- “The wise man does not lay up his own treasures. The more he gives to others, the more he has for his own.” – Lao Tzu
- See all of our other great quotes for kids
- Here are some great IMK stories and videos about giving that show what a tremendous impact giving and generosity can have!
- Check out IMK stories about supporting human rights, many which show great examples of giving and generosity
Topics for Discussion:
- What do giving and generosity mean to you? What are some ways you can show these things?
- What at your top 3 quotes from the list above? Why?
- What people do you know that display a lot of generosity towards others? How do they do so?
- Talk about a time when you did or did not show generosity? How did it make you feel? How did it impact others?
- Write down 2 ways that you can be more giving towards others TODAY? Go out and do it! Today!