When you think of a hero, who comes to mind? A firefighter saving a family from a fire? A soldier fighting in a war? How about a dog? Although many think of dogs simply as family pets and faithful companions, the reality is that oftentimes, dogs heroically come to the rescue just when they’re needed most. Whether it’s a dog who is specially trained or a family pet who takes on the role of rescuer, these dogs risk their lives, put themselves in harm’s way, and perform incredible acts of bravery, all in the name of protecting and serving people in need all over the world!
These three videos tell the stories of some of the world’s most courageous dog heroes.
- Here is a link to a book all about dog heroes!
- Here is an article about a very special dog hero, a bloodhound named Nick Carter.
Topics for Discussion:
- What do you think made each of the dog heroes decide to perform their acts of bravery?
- Do you have a dog? What makes your dog special to you?
- Visit the Foundation for Service Dog Support website to learn more about these amazing dogs and how you can help support them!
- Visit the International Fund for Animal Welfare website to learn how you can help animals all over the world!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.