Police officers have hard jobs. They often put themselves in danger, working odd hours, and rarely receiving thanks for their work protecting the community. And sometimes they receive a lot of criticism. So, it is nice to see when a police officer’s positive actions are celebrated. Such is the case with two police officers who showed the power of caring by helping frantic mothers get medical care for their children in their time of need.
Officer Jeremie Nix helped revive baby Kingston Crowell after seeing his mom, Nechole Crowell, in traffic. Officer Nix applied CPR and rushed Kingston to medical care. Thankfully, the baby survived and is now thriving.
Separately, Officer William Kimbro pulled over a speeding car and quickly saw that 12-day old baby Ryleigh was choking. He began to perform CPR. He was able to get her breathing again. Again, the baby is now in great health and living a normal life.
From Police Officer to Family Member
In both cases, the extra care exhibited by these officers led to an ongoing relationship with the children’s families. And even much more than that! In both cases, the officers were asked by the families to become Godparents for the children they saved!
And, in the case of Nechole Crowell, seeing how Officer Jeremie Nix helped save her son’s life, even inspired her to return to school to become a nurse. Now, she too will be equipped to help others in their time of need.
These police officers are shining examples of the power of caring. Look around your own world and there are probably many examples of the power of caring, whether from a parent, grandparent, friend, sibling, teacher, or relative. Check out more about the power of caring in these inspiring videos and then think about how you can put the power of caring to work in your life.
William Kimbro and baby Ryleigh
Jeremie Nix and baby Kingston
Here is another similar story about a policeman who came to the rescue years earlier that shows how he has become a family member as well!
- Check out other inspiring stories and videos from IMK about friendship and caring
- Explore our inspiring friendship quotes and kindness quotes
- Learn more about what police officers do thanks to Kiddle
Topics for Discussion:
- What character traits do these police officers exhibit? And what traits do the families exhibit?
- Is there someone in your life who is an example of the power of caring?
- What kinds of careers focus on helping and caring for others?
- What is the nicest thing that anyone has ever done for you? How did it make you feel?
- Are you interested in becoming a police officer? Here are 10 things kids can do now to become a police officer!
- Do you have a friend or family member in need? How are you helping them now? Is there anything more you can do? Dream it and do it.