Ten-year-old Traci Weinstein from New York has a lot of soul and, now, a lot of (shoe) soles!
Traci’s interest in shoes started when she learned that every day, all around the world, children cannot attend school and adults are unable to work because they do not have shoes. She learned that one pair of shoes can literally change someones life forever!
So, Traci began to collect shoes! Since she had been born in an orphanage in the country of Guatemala, Traci decided to focus her efforts on providing shoes to people in this country where the poverty rate is very high.
To organize her 3 month long shoe drive, Traci worked with the non-profit organization, Soles4Souls. Soles4Souls mission is to collect shoes to help ‘wear out poverty.’ They have provided millions of shoes to needy people in over 100 countries!
Traci set a huge goal. She wanted to collect 25,000 shoes to benefit needy people in her birth country of Guatemala! Amazingly, in just a few months, Traci not only hit her goal, but she collected over 30,000 pairs of shoes!
Traci is thrilled to be making a difference in the world around her, and was amazed at the support that she received from her community.
Next on Traci’s list of goals is to help distribute shoes. Traci and her family hope to visit Guatemala and help distribute shoes and clothes to those in need.
Here is a video that tells Traci’s inspiring story. Check it out and then see below how you can help make a difference for people around the world!
- Learn more about Soles4Souls
- Learn facts the power of a pair of shoes by watching the Soles4Souls video here
- Watch other great IMK stories about children and adults that exhibit caring
- Read IMK’s list of great quotes for kids about caring
Topics for Discussion:
- What or who inspired her to take action?
- What character traits does Traci exhibit?
- How do you feel when you spend time helping others vs. just helping yourself?
- Have you ever set a big goal for yourself? Please talk about it.
- Think about the community you live in. Are there things that could be changed to better your community? Brainstorm about your ideas with your family or class.
- Visit the Soles4Souls website to learn ways you can get involved
- Check out another organization, Gotta Have Sole, that helps provide shoes to the homeless