Katie Stagliano was in third grade when she took part in a special school project. For the project, she brought home a cabbage seedling, planted it, and nurtured it as it grew. Under her care, her cabbage grew incredibly big, weighing in at 40 pounds! Katie decided to donate her huge cabbage to a soup kitchen, and it ended up feeding 275 people!
Inspired by her success with her cabbage and how it helped feed the hungry, Katie decided she wanted to grow more food to give to those in need. Thus the idea for Katie’s Krops was born. Today, Katie’s Krops has provided thousands of pounds of food for those who need it most!
This video tells about Katie and her amazing work.
- Here is an article that tells all about Katie’s Krops.
- Here is a blog in which Katie tells her inspirational story!
Topics for Discussion:
- How do you think Katie felt when she found out her cabbage was able to feed 275 people?
- Do you like to garden? Could you give any items from your garden to someone in need?
- Katie took a simple idea and turned it into something she could do to help others. What simple idea can you put into action to help someone in your community?
- Visit the Katie’s Krops website to learn more about her gardens and how you can get involved!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.