On March 2 each year, America celebrates a very special event called Read Across America. This event takes place in order to emphasize the fun and importance of reading, and it is celebrated on the birthday of one of the all-time greatest children’s authors, Dr. Seuss! Also known as Theodor Seuss Geisel (and even sometimes Theo Lesieg), Dr. Seuss has made reading magical for kids of all ages with books that are funny, wildly imaginative, and often surprisingly thought-provoking.
This video tells about Dr. Seuss and the special day of reading in his honor.
- Here is the Seussville website, which tells all about Dr. Seuss and his wonderful books!
- Here is a link to a collection of great books IMK loves.
- This video shows a special way one school decided to celebrate Read Across America!
Topics for Discussion:
- Why is reading so important?
- Which Dr. Seuss book is your favorite? Why?
- Visit the National Education Association’s Read Across America page to learn more about this event and how you can take part in it!
- Visit the Reading Rockets website to learn ways you can help those who struggle with reading.