When you think of the word “responsibility”, what comes to mind? Getting your school assignments done on time? Helping your family with the daily chores? Watching out for your little brother or sister? Responsibility definitely means all those things, but it means something more too….
Responsibility is also a concept that entails looking inside yourself and doing all you can to be the best person possible. And when you practice responsibility, you’re on your way to making your life the very best it can be! In order to inspire you, here are some fantastic quotes about responsibility and the tremendous impact it can have!
“The time is always right to do what is right” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
‘I must do something’ always solves more problems than ‘Something must be done.’” – Author Unknown
“If you mess up, ‘fess up.” – Author Unknown
“When you blame others, you give up your power to change.” – Author Unknown
“When a man points a finger at someone else, he should remember that four of his fingers are pointing at himself.” – Louis Nizer
“Never point a finger where you never lent a hand.” – Robert Brault
“If you take responsibility for yourself you will develop a hunger to accomplish your dreams.” - Les Brown
“A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” – Bob Dylan
“The price of greatness is responsibility.” – Winston Churchill
“Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home… it’s your responsibility to love it, or change it.” – Chuck Palahniuk
“With great power comes great responsibility.” – Voltaire (also said by Uncle Ben to Peter Parker in Spiderman!)
Here are some IMK posts that demonstrate the benefits of responsibility.
- Abbie Jacobson – A Sweet Reward for a Selfless Act of Compassion
- John Orozco – No Gold, But Still a Champion By Any Measure
- Earth Day 2012 – Taking Care of Our Home and Preserving Our Future
- Let’s Move – Creating a Happier, Healthier Future for America’s Kids
- Brandon Hill – Empowering Success Through the Brotherhood
Topics for Discussion:
- Why is responsibility so important?
- What would the world be like if nobody practiced responsibility?
- Describe the most responsible person you know
- Visit the What You Can Do website to learn lots of terrific ways you can take responsibility!
- Visit the Post Goodness website to learn a great way to take action on the goodness that comes from responsibility!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.