Raegan Lawrence is an 11-year-old student and band member at Bonaire Middle School, in central Georgia, USA. Over the past several months, she has used the grief and stress caused by the COVID pandemic to bring out her best and help others in the process.
The COVID pandemic has been very hard on Raegan and her family. She lost two of her aunts as well as her great grandfather to the virus. And she hasn’t been able to see or visit with some of her closest relatives such as her grandfather.
Feeling constantly sad, she struggled with what she could do to make things better. While thinking about ways she could help, her band began to sell the “world’s finest chocolate bars” to raise funds for their activities.
This gave her an idea – why not sell the world’s finest chocolate bars to give back to the world’s finest people? In her mind, the finest people in the world are the healthcare workers, firemen, and first responders who have given so much of themselves during this pandemic to help others while putting themselves in harm’s way.
And sell she did.!While Reagan is typically a shy person, this did not stop her from promoting sales of her candy bars and then using the proceeds to buy bars for First Responders. She also decided to take all the money she had in savings from Christmas, her birthday and other gifts to use that to buy chocolate bars for the world’s finest people.
In all, Raegan gave out over 400 bars to area first responders who were appreciative not just of the world’s finest chocolate, but the generous and caring actions of one of the world’s finest 11-year-old girls!
Check out Raegan Lawrence’s inspiring story and think about what you can do to help others in need during this challenging moment.
- Learn more about Raegan’s efforts and read an interview with her here
- Watch other great IMK stories about children and adults who exhibit caring
- Read IMK’s list of great quotes for kids about caring and being proactive
Topics for Discussion:
- What character traits does Raegan exhibit?
- Why was Raegan inspired to take action and do something to help first responders in her area?
- What could you do to help others during a hard time?
- Think about something you are passionate about. Think about someone in need. Imagine ways you might be able to help them. Go do it!!!