She may be a young girl, but when it comes to sisterly devotion and giving back, Hailey Scheinman is wise beyond her years! 13-year-old Hailey has a twin sister named Olivia (Livy), and the two are practically inseparable.
This is true despite the fact that physically, the girls are very different. Hailey is healthy, but Livy suffers from epilepsy and cerebral palsy. Regardless of their physical difference, Hailey’s love for Livy shines through every day. The sisters play and read together and Hailey helps her sister with her many needs.
Since Hailey was very young, she has taken this love even one step further. In order to help with the cost of Livy’s physical therapy and to help other families with large medical costs, she created and sold artwork and jewelry through her charity, Livy’s Hope.
Hailey had overheard her parents talking about how to raise money for Livy’s expensive medical treatments. She immediately started making bracelets and painting pictures and selling them on eBay.
Hailey and her family decided to start giving back to other families in need. Now, they give 100% of the profits from everything sold at Livy’s Hope to other families who are going through what the Scheinman’s have experienced!
More recently, they launched #LemonadeforLivy, which has grown from one local lemonade stand that Hailey’s friend’s organized for Livy to a national event that takes place in every state and around the world each July!
Through her incredible kindness and compassion, Hailey has given new meaning to the words “sisterly love”. And has inspired countless others with her actions!
The Scheinman family motto is Don’t Give Up, Give Back. They are a true example of taking action, helping others and doing something good in the face of difficulty.
This video shows the extent of Hailey Scheinman’s love and devotion for Livy.
Here’s a video that tells Livy’s story from her perspective.
Learn more about #LemonadeforLivy from the Epilepsy Foundation.
In this incredible video, Hailey provides inspiration to find your way to give back.
- Here’s another IMK post about a boy who uses his talent to raise money for his sick friend!
- Learn more about Epilepsy at the Epilepsy Foundation
Topics for Discussion:
- What do you think about the motto, Don’t Give Up, Give Back? What does it mean?
- Do you know anyone with cerebral palsy or epilepsy? What special needs do they have?
- How do you handle difficulties in your own life?
- What do you think makes Hailey so incredibly devoted to her sister?
- Do you know anyone who has taken positive action in the face of difficulties?
- Hailey uses her talent to help someone she loves. What talent do you have that you can use to help someone you love?
- Visit Livy’s Hope, a website dedicated to Livy, to learn more about Hailey and Livy and how you can help support them!
- Learn how to support #LemonadeforLivy
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.