You may have noticed something about most of your teachers. They care about you. A lot. Although you may not realize it, they spend a lot of their own time, money and energy to help their students become their best.
Yet, rarely do teachers receive extraordinary praise for their extraordinary kindness, giving and caring. Why is it that a professional baseball player gets national attention for hitting a home run one night, yet a teacher who devotes her life to her students is often forgotten. There is no good answer…it just doesn’t make sense!
Thankfully, teachers good actions are sometimes recognized. In small ways by students and parents, and once in a while in big ways.
Teacher Sonya Romero from Lew Wallace Elementary School in Albuquerque, New Mexico is one teacher who was recently recognized in a big way for her caring and generosity. She is one of many teachers around the world who are real heros.
Ms. Romero spends the first period of each school day making sure her students are properly fed and dressed. She buys food and clothes for them with her own money. And not only does she care for them in the class, but sometimes out of the class as well!
Watch this inspiring video where Ms. Romero’s great story is told and she receives a big surprise from Ellen DeGeneres:
- Read or listen to this story from NPR about another inspiring teacher
- Learn about Thank A Teacher Day
Topics for Discussion:
- What are some of the character traits of your best teachers?
- What are some things about life that you have learned from your teachers?
- How can you show your support for your teacher? Here is a list with many ideas for how to do so
- Visit the Teach for America website to learn more about those who teach underprivileged kids and how you can support them!